7.19.2011

Ch-ch-ch chia....seeds



I first heard about Chia seeds in Christopher McDougall's Born to Run (see post here) and ended up ordering a bag after continuing to run across them in Angela Liddon's blog/reciepes at Oh She Glows.

These little seeds pack a healthy punch. I have been having a tbsp each morning as part of my Chia Easy Oatmeal and they are not bad.

Chia Easy Oatmeal
lightly adapted from Oh She Glows

1/2 cup overnight oatmeal
3/4 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon raw chia seeds

Optional morning add ins
Peanut Butter
Banana
Maple Syrup
Blueberries

Before you go to sleep:
Add the oatmeal, almond milk and chia seeds in a bowl. Mix up the ingredients and place in the fridge overnight. Stir one more time after brushing your teeth, wandering around your house/apartment right before you get in bed.

What is happening while you snooze: The chia seeds are hydrating and thickening the mixture overnight so when you wake up you are greeted with oatmeal consistency but without the heat. Perfect for this heat wave we are going through.

In the morning:
Stir and add in whatever you feel like. I've been adding Maple Syrup most mornings and I've experimented with banana and peanut butter but not a huge fan of that. Add what you like subtract what you don't. Make your breakfast your own.

The other recipe I've tried was chia fresca, written about in Born to Run but the actual recipe I used was from the No Meat Athlete. (cold water, chia, honey and lime; mix and wait) The key with this one was cold water and let it gel before you drink it. Chia seeds can hold A LOT of water, if you drink the mix before the seeds have hydrated fully it can cause some discomfort as they expand in your stomach.

I still have not figured out the seeds are actually helping my runs but the placebo effect is working for me.

5 mile run tomorrow. Rest well legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment